ABSM Junior Faculty Research Award
The American Sleep Medicine Foundation (ASMF) is pleased to announce the 2015 grant cycle for the American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABSM) Junior Faculty Research Award.
Physicians (MD or DO) who are certified in sleep medicine by the American Board of Sleep Medicine or by a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, within 10 years post sleep medicine fellowship and who hold a faculty appointment are eligible to apply for this award.
Through this award, the ASMF aims to assist new faculty in the development of a career in academic sleep medicine. The ASMF will award a grant of $50,000 distributed over two years to one applicant.
A grant review committee appointed by the ASMF Executive Committee will evaluate and rank the proposals for a final decision by the ASMF Board of Directors to determine the award recipient. Factors that will be taken into consideration include:
- The applicant’s experience
- The presence of resources necessary to complete the study (including the commitment and experience of any mentor that has been established to assist with career development)
- The feasibility and scientific merit of the research plan
- The training plan/environment
- The appropriateness of the proposed research/training activities to the ASMF mission and anticipated relationship between the funds provided and expected outcomes, including potential contribution of this work to the development of the applicant’s academic career in sleep medicine, and degree of institutional support evident in the application. Institutional support should include tangible evidence of direct support of the applicant’s research career development, such as additional funded research time, access to existing research resources and programs, strong mentorship and sustained commitment over a period of time deemed adequate for development.
- The applicant’s and the applicant institution’s history of prior ASMF awards (to increase geographical, institutional and individual diversity among awardees)
Download ABSM Junior Faculty Research Award application
Applications must be received at the ASMF office no later than 11:59 p.m. CST on December 8, 2014. All applications must be submitted electronically. The ASMF will notify the applicants of their decision by May, 2015.
For questions about the ABSM Jr. Faculty Award or other ASMF inquiries, please contact Laura Bentley, ASMF Assistant, at 630-737-9700 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.