ABSM Junior Faculty Research Award
The American Sleep Medicine Foundation (ASMF) invites physicians (MD or DO) with faculty appointments who have completed an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) approved sleep medicine fellowship to apply for the American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABSM) Junior Faculty Research Award. The awards will include research expenses such as salary support, supplies and overhead for the awardee. Please review the eligibility criteria for further details.
- Physicians (MD or DO) who are certified in sleep medicine by a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, are within 10 years post sleep medicine fellowship and hold a faculty appointment are eligible to apply.
- Successful applicants must be members of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine at the time of acceptance of the award, and membership must be maintained for the duration of the award.
- Individuals who have received an ASMF SRA I or II as PI are not eligible to apply for career development awards or junior faculty awards (except mid-career awards).
- Individuals may receive only one CDA/Junior Faculty award from the ASMF. Individuals may apply for multiple awards, but may accept only one.
Note: Individuals who have received a CDA/Junior Faculty Award are encouraged to apply for ASMF strategic research awards; however, the investigator must demonstrate that there is no budgetary or scientific overlap between the CDA and SRA projects.
- Individuals who have received independent research funding of more than $150,000 are not eligible to apply. This does not apply to post-doctoral/fellowship level training grants primarily covering the applicant’s salary (e.g. NRSAs).
Requirements for Application
Applications must include evidence of completion of a Sleep Medicine Fellowship, a commitment to the applicant by a University in the United States to provide a faculty position with a research component for at least 3 years, a research plan, description of institutional resources, the applicant’s involvement in an academic sleep program at his/her institution, and letters of support from the Department chair, research mentor and, if applicable, a letter from the Director of the applicant’s Sleep Medicine Fellowship. The applicant is responsible for securing these letters of support.
Structure of Award
The ABSM Junior Faculty Research Award program will award $75,000 spread over two years to up to two applicants per year. Progress reports are required every six months.
Award Review Criteria and Process
An award review committee appointed by the ASMF Executive Committee will evaluate and score proposals. Final funding decisions will be made by the ASMF Board of Directors. Factors that will be taken into consideration include:
- The applicant's experience and interest in sleep research,
- Availability of resources necessary to complete the study (including the commitment and experience of any mentor that has been established to assist with career development),
- Feasibility and scientific merit of the goals and activities planned,
- The training plan/training environment,
- Responsiveness to the current RFA and appropriateness of the proposed research/training activities to the ASMF mission, and
- The anticipated relationship between the funds provided and expected outcomes, including potential contribution of this work to the development of the applicant's academic career in sleep medicine, and degree of institutional support evident in the application. Institutional support should include tangible evidence of direct support of the applicant's research career development, such as additional funded research time, access to existing research resources and programs, strong mentorship and sustained commitment over a period of time deemed adequate for development.
- The ASMF wishes to emphasize its requirement that the applicant's department chair and mentor provide assurance of a strong level of commitment to truly support the applicant's career path, including honoring protected time for scholarly activity and investigation, consistent with the effort reflected in the proposed budget, during the period of this award. The department chair's and mentor’s letters of support should include specific details of how receipt of this award, and the associated protected time it entails, will create unique opportunities that facilitate the applicant's successful academic career in sleep medicine. The letters should also describe any committed additional or matching research funds from the applicant's department or mentor, and how these funds will be used to bolster the applicant's program of investigation.
Applications must be received at the ASMF office no later than 11:59 p.m. CST on December 19, 2016. All applications must be submitted electronically. The ASMF will notify the applicants of their decision by April 15, 2017.
For questions about the ABSM Jr. Faculty Award or other ASMF inquiries, please contact Laura Bentley, ASMF Assistant, at 630-737-9700 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Jr. Faculty Application